Etiquette for spectators
First time spectator at a golf tournament, and a little out of your comfort zone?
The key at a tournament is not to disturb the players or other spectators. We’ve put together a list of do’s and don’ts to put you at ease.
- Be quiet when play is in progress – so turn the cell phone ringtone off.
- Applaud a good shot, but in a discreet manner – leave the vuvuzela at home.
- Keep still while the golfers are taking their shots – Mexican waves are not appreciated.
- Find out what the local rules of the club are.
- Wear appropriate clothing, takkies or spike-less golf shoes will do – stilettoes are probably not such a good idea.
- Take photographs while golfers are taking their shots – paparazzi behaviour is frowned upon.
- Offer players advice – unless you’re being paid for it.
- Ask for autographs from players who are still playing.
- Move from the tee while the golfers are putting out.
Enjoy the experience!